19.4.08

Giving It Up

As we settle now at the end of things
All of us tired and wanting explanations
The screen caught our gaze
Even though secretly no one wanted to look
Slide after slide began to run
Antique in their manner
And taunting with their memories.
Silence fell as we began to realize
Our hurt began to fade when we knew
All that we were angry at wasn't real
We'd made up things just to get by
Because we couldn't handle missing each other
In such good light.
So we built walls, barriers, with our pitiful reasons
We made them higher and higher
Reaching to the heavens in a scornful look.

Then we remembered the slide show.
And watched the good times
Forgetting the bad.
I saw the one of you when you were little
Ice cream running down your face
You laughed with both of your front teeth missing
And me with my curled pigtails
In my watermelon dress and sandals
Sitting on the wooden fence.
We're all so bent on getting what we want
And I don't know how to fix it.